The Kingdom of PlanetMercury is a massive, orderly nation, ruled by Freddie Mercury with an iron fist, and remarkable for its smutty television, enslaved workforce, and aversion to nipples. The hard-nosed, cynical, humorless population of 2.537 billion PlanetMercuries are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.
The medium-sized, corrupt, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defense, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Bulsara. The average income tax rate is 38.0%.
The frighteningly efficient PlanetMercuryian economy, worth 372 trillion pounds a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is an enormous, deeply entrenched, quite specialized black market in Information Technology, Arms Manufacturing, Uranium Mining, and Beef-Based Agriculture. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is an impressive 146,782 pounds, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 3.6 times as much as the poorest.
Money can't buy love but mercy is entirely negotiable, urban graffiti is hand-calligraphed in perfectly kerned elegant fonts, children are encouraged to fail at school so as not to appear too enlightened, and it's considered a civil right to be allowed to neglect and mistreat your own children. Crime, especially youth-related, is relatively low, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. PlanetMercury's national animal is the Cat, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : PlanetMercury was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Scientifically Advanced.
- : Following new legislation in PlanetMercury, it's considered a civil right to be allowed to neglect and mistreat your own children.
- : Following new legislation in PlanetMercury, children are encouraged to fail at school so as not to appear too enlightened.
- : Following new legislation in PlanetMercury, urban graffiti is hand-calligraphed in perfectly kerned elegant fonts.
- : Following new legislation in PlanetMercury, money can't buy love but mercy is entirely negotiable.
- : Following new legislation in PlanetMercury, PlanetMercury is renowned for its lax gun laws.
- : Following new legislation in PlanetMercury, radio stations are forbidden to play anything with too much drum or bass.
- : Following new legislation in PlanetMercury, teenagers stay out into the wee hours of the morning "stargazing".
- : Following new legislation in PlanetMercury, Scoutmasters debate whether luxury log cabins defeat the purpose of camping.
- : Following new legislation in PlanetMercury, deceased politicians' MyFace profiles are unanimously pro-incumbent.
Endorsements Received: 185 » The AnCap Pirate Utopia, Francois Isidore, Eri-Maqa-Ena, Omnistria, Yokciq Empire, Aerilia, Orado, Lulubellia, Great Bights Mum, Guer Aike, Barabolia, Votak Matim, Dar es Saalam, Republica Guilleana, Zemnaya Svoboda, Valgarda, The Democratic Kingdom Of Skaraborg, Hamerica, Shibutani, Travislavania, Venicea, Former English Colony, Corfad, Bharathvarsh, North Bratislava, Koda-Land, The Rhein States, Star Kingdom, Zzozona, New Lakemba, Cretox State, Siwale, Hardscrabble, Territorio di Nessuno, McMasterdonia, Yaorozu, Illusia and Neverendia, El Fiji Grande, Svenskan, Valentine Z, Ellbonnia, The Tampa Bay Rays, The Endless Eventide, Xentherida, Bankowiata, Empy, Wilkshire, Sachi, The Pantheons, Wisconsota, and 135 others.Nodnarb, Svenskskit, Dreadton, Notyoutopia, Runeda, Just Vibin, Pallaith, Sikol, Loutsland, Kragsgale, Frances Francis the First of France, North Unity, Ravendi, Imperial Pieserged, Maott, Heilhum Imperius, Madjack, Interdimensional Zone, Wapistan, Wineclaw, Figyjharli, WeKnow, Selfgradatude, The Ultimate Republic, The Republic of Free Peoples, Aryan Homeland, Dangine, Muqatil, Kromi, Sunto, Nation1812, East Akra, Siforpeo, Pleroma Sans Romans, Chips and Guac, Shotokonia, Sil Dorsett, Simone Republic, Aingard, The Teddy, Xagill, Blyskalia, Yellops, Tyirza, Kranostav, Super Girl, Holy Oranz, Xyrron, The Mazur Empire, Clan Spaniel, San Felipe, Libertania Democratica, Ethnon, Pasargad, Nova Arcania, Draconian Progression, Climeria, Mon Island, Strongwill, Steampunk Ariel, ForestMythal, Korean-Joseon, New Celoveniortan, Viridiann, Folenz, Darkmondoria, Britle, Planes, Seanat, Capablanca, Tsandonown, Atlunartemis, AmManies, Holy Empire of Greater Bavaria, Defense For The World Assembly, Libvillia, Katuda, Greater Ale Permars, Ariele, Novremia, Fraystonia, Merconitonitopia, Andanavia, Kastonvia, Card Kingdom, Kinitopia, Sopernia, Apollo Park, Shadowrik, Bearical, Drueste, Fizban, Unshleepd, Jaxikistan, Outer Shenendoah, Sahriastan, Lionia, The Blazeland Administration, Que Lukustinardon, Zdagoburg, The Calabash Protectorate, Nordic-British Union, His Enduring Majesty, Tibus Heth, Eternal Dominion, Malta Comino Gozo, ROM, Vesteysia, Nimarya, Liberum Hibernia, TheGame, Solcius, Godwanna, Tringapore, Pazair, Duryanistan, Praeceps, United Soviet State of North Amerika, Zapiron, Paradeavenlisian States, Palgo, Erisoria, Omolon, Rising Sakura, United Capitalist Provinces, TyGerria, Barlano, Pooldova, Brotigymbymmoereekin, Luxarra, Lordelles, Royal Bengaluru, Dabarastan, Cam Zazi, and Perikuresu.