The first organized cities appeared on Tametrian plains of northeastern Kemetia around 8000 BCE. Around 3400 BCE, the city of Badaria began to grow in prosperity and influence, eventually forming the nucleus of what became the Kingdom of Tametry about 3100 BCE.
The Kingdom of Tametry under the Pharaohs of Badaria had expanded by the 9th century BCE to include most of modern-day Cyretopolitania and Jrawa, which constituted the Kingdom's Eastern Province. Tametry became, and remained for hundreds of years, the most powerful kingdom on the continent of Kemetia.
In 147 BCE, the Romans invaded and occupied most of the coastal areas of the Eastern Province, creating the Roman province of Cyretopolitania. Over the next century, Rome gradually absorbed more and more of Tametry until it was officially made the Roman province of Tameteria. Its capital was relocated from ancient Badaria to the newly built Roman city of Alexandria – modern-day Iskandariya.
Christianity was introduced in Tameteria by Saint Mark, who established the See of Alexandria. Followers of Saint Mark then carried Christianity to Cyretopolitania and Jrawa. While Christianity fully dislodged the ancient religions of Tameteria and Cyretopolitania, it never fully dislodged Judiasim in the tiny region in Jrawa.
In the 5th century CE, the See of Alexandria, along with the See of Cyretia, refused to recognize the Council of Chalcedon, separating the Coptic Orthodox Churches of Cyretia and Tameteria from the Eastern and Western Churches.
The arrival of the Breucians in the middle of the 5th century disrupted the established order in Kemetia and provoked a series of low-level conflicts with a weakened and fragmented Tameteria.
In the 7th century, Muslim armies launched a successful invasion of Tameteria. Uthman ibn Muhammad, who claimed to be acting “on behalf of the Great Caliph” and was, therefore, erroneously called an Umayyad general, entered Alexandria in 686 and renamed the city Iskandariya.
Tameteria, now known by the Arabic name Qubti, remained under Muslim rule, with several local governors vying for control.
In 1261, Jawhar Abdallah, a governor from the south of Qubti, conquered Iskandariya, which cemented his control of all of Qubit. After proclaiming himself Sultan,he seized the ancient cathedral of Saint Mark, which had been spared by the original Muslim invaders, and turned it into the mosque now known as the Golden Mosque.
Over the next several hundred years, the Sultanate of Qubti mounted several invasions of the Christian Kingdom of Cyretopolitania, the Jewish Kingdom of Jrawa and the pagan Kingdom of Berucia. Although Qubti never succeeded in conquering Cyretopolitania and Jrawa, it did subdue Breucia. Due in part to the long periods of warfare with the two kingdoms to its west, which saw much territory on the fringes of Cyretopolitania and Qubti switch hands several times, Qubti never fully imposed Islam on Breucia. While the country functioned as a client state, it largely retained its own religion and customs.
In 1556, during one of the many low-level conflicts between the Cyretopolitania and the Qubti, Breucian troops under Qubtian command sacked the Monastery of Saint Achillias, which was located in the mountains straddling the border between Cyretopolitania and Breucia. After defeating the small Cyretian garrison, the Breucians massacred the monks and many civilians in the neighboring village. While this one of many atrocities committed by both sides, it became a source of ongoing tension and repeated conflict.
In the early 1830s, conflict again flared between the Cyretopolitania and the Sultanate over the border. As the intensity of the conflict grew, the Kingdom of Ernestria invaded Berucia to “liberate” it from Qubtian rule and to bring “order” to the region. Later, under Ernestrian pressure, Cyretopolitania and Qubti signed the Treaty of Bodendorf, fixing the borders between Cyretopolitania, Qubti and Breucia, which was ceded to the Ernestines.
Despite Qubti’s relatively weak military and infrastructure, the Sultan attempted to enter the War and reclaim its lost territories in Cyretopolitania and Breucia. Its utter failure on the field of battle further weakened the Sultan’s government and drove the economy into depression.
Following the First World War, the economy was near collapse and social unrest was growing in the Sultanate rapidly urbanizing cities. A group of officers, many of whom had either been educated in the West or had been exposed to Western ideas during the War, decided that Qubti could only be saved by removing the Sultan and installing a secular, nationalist government.
The coup, led by Colonel Abasi Hamdy, succeeded in overthrowing Sultan Jawhar VI on November 15, 1920. The Republic of Qubti was proclaimed the next day, with Colonel Hamdy as its first President.
In 1962, a group of radical officers influenced by socialist revolutions in other parts of the world overthrew the authoritarian government of President Mussa Said and proclaimed the Democratic Republic of Qubti.
Although the current government of Qubti has returned to name Republic of Qubti, it continues to officially espouse socialism. The military, however, remains the primary power broker in Qubti. Further eroding socialist ideals is a growing Islamist movement that has been tolerated, if not cultivated, by the government, which uses it appease the masses, threaten its neighbors, and justify periodic crackdowns.