The Democratic Republic of Varomilla is a huge, safe nation, notable for its public floggings, keen interest in outer space, and complete lack of prisons. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 407 million Varomillans are kept under strict control by the oppressive government, which measures its success by the nation's GDP and refers to individual citizens as "human resources."
The medium-sized, corrupt, moralistic, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Administration, and Education. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Rovadelle. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 50.0%.
The frighteningly efficient Varomillan economy, worth 52.5 trillion pesos a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Information Technology industry, with major contributions from Arms Manufacturing, Uranium Mining, and Retail. Black market activity is notable. Average income is an impressive 129,006 pesos, but there is a significant disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 399,561 per year while the poor average 32,091, a ratio of 12.5 to 1.
Death row is annually emptied to feed the nation's hunger for televised murder-games, citizens sporting mohawks must carry family trees on them at all times, trails to natural wonders are littered with trash from reality film crews, and blind students are at a disadvantage now that test papers printed in braille have been discontinued. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Varomilla's national animal is the red panda, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Varomilla was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Basket Weaving Sector.
- : Varomilla was endorsed by The Prosperous Land of Kethania.
- : Varomilla was endorsed by The Federation of Socialist Indian Republics.
- : Following new legislation in Varomilla, blind students are at a disadvantage now that test papers printed in braille have been discontinued.
- : Following new legislation in Varomilla, trails to natural wonders are littered with trash from reality film crews.
- : Following new legislation in Varomilla, citizens sporting mohawks must carry family trees on them at all times.
- : Varomilla lodged a message on the The Communist Bloc Regional Message Board.
- : Varomilla was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Wealthy Incomes and the Top 10% for Most Efficient Economies and Highest Disposable Incomes.
- : Following new legislation in Varomilla, death row is annually emptied to feed the nation's hunger for televised murder-games.
- : Following new legislation in Varomilla, the end of communism came with retail rather than revolution.
Endorsements Received: 32 » Shamian, Repolaa, Socialist Heronia, People freedom China, Comuny, Boyarkinskaya, The Communist regime of Sovietchina, Firaxos, Hispania Lusitana, Eisbergien, Canadian Democratic Republics, Messeroids, Kheltchistan, HollowCrown, Nouvelle-Louisbourg, The Achterhoek, Sonograd, Flying-Penguins, Exania, The Transmanian Islands, Melanesia and Micronesia, Respondus, The Ellsworth Mountains, Extremoska, Ugriasau, Europa Volksdemokratisch Sozialistisch, Sith Isles, Carrico, Democratic-Socialists, Czecho-Slovakian Union, Puaco, and Kethania.