The Republic of Gymnosia is a huge, socially progressive nation, renowned for its irreverence towards religion, punitive income tax rates, and devotion to social welfare. The compassionate, democratic population of 842 million Gymnosians love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
The enormous, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Education, Administration, and Welfare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Godiva. The average income tax rate is 77.8%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but sluggish Gymnosian economy, worth 24.0 trillion dollars a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is quite specialized, is led by the Tourism industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology, Basket Weaving, and Book Publishing. Average income is 28,510 dollars, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Leader's luxurious new home has been designated as a protected cultural heritage site, bars are packed at all hours, ad-blocking has been nationalised, and mantis shrimp studies is academia's fastest-growing field. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Gymnosia's national animal is the dove, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Gymnosia was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Income Equality and the Top 10% for Most Beautiful Environments, Most Popular Tourist Destinations, Highest Workforce Participation Rate, and Highest Foreign Aid Spending.
- : Following new legislation in Gymnosia, mantis shrimp studies is academia's fastest-growing field.
- : Following new legislation in Gymnosia, ad-blocking has been nationalised.
- : Following new legislation in Gymnosia, bars are packed at all hours.
- : Following new legislation in Gymnosia, Leader's luxurious new home has been designated as a protected cultural heritage site.
- : Following new legislation in Gymnosia, elderly prisoners with severe dementia are reminded hourly that they are evil people by helpful nurse-wardens.
- : Following new legislation in Gymnosia, the government is interviewing for thousands of 'Religious Censor' positions.
- : Following new legislation in Gymnosia, citizens are required to report any and all incidents of prayer to their local Religious Affairs Officer.
- : Following new legislation in Gymnosia, foreign investment has dropped to a trickle after laws were passed preventing investors from taking their earnings abroad.
- : Gymnosia was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Foreign Aid Spending.